Search This Blog

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Book Review: "The Noticer" by Andy Andrews



"Seeing the world through rose colored glasses" may be the parallel to this wonderful book by Andy Andrews. How you see your world, how you live your life, and the joy and satisfaction you get from it... how to change your life is all a matter of changing your perspective.

This wonderful story is told by Andy and chronicles the visits of an old man named Jones to a small town near the sea and the lives that he touches. With a strong base in Christianity The Noticer is not in-your-face, Bible-thumping preaching. A short, quick read that would be a wonderful gift for the believing and unbelieving friend. I see this as a wonderful missionary tool.

I don't usually like to mark my books, but while I was reading I found myself holding onto a pen. I have underlined quotes and noted thoughts in the margins. The book is very thought provoking and for me, I just wanted to be able to find those little jewels again quickly. My favorite: "What you focus on will increase." I've shared that quote with a friend and it opened an awesome conversation about how we need to focus on the positive things in our lives (perspective) and how we must focus on God in praise and prayer, making Him bigger than all of the annoyances of life.

And there's a bonus! At the end of the book there is a reader's guide. Lots of thought provoking questions, broken down by chapter. Perfect for personal use or for a book club, or even for homeschooling. I found that the questions helped me to get a little deeper. Some of the questions took me back to the thoughts and feelings I had while reading the book, causing me to reflect and really dig into my own understanding.

I very highly recommend this book. It will change your life. It will change your outlook.

No comments:

Post a Comment