Search This Blog

Sunday, August 16, 2009

I Know it's Supposed to Be Funny...but (Book review: Rick and Bubba's Guide to the Almost Nearly Perfect Marriage)


I know that "Rick and Bubba's Guide to the Almost Nearly Perfect Marriage" is supposed to be funny, but I didn't even chuckle. Maybe you have to be from the south, maybe you have to love hunting, or know a hunter, or like deer meat...I don't know. But this California, born and raised, "Valley Girl" didn't get it.

The "Guide" does not really offer any solid information or guidance except maybe to have a little sence of humor when it comes to marriage. They tell stories from their own lives and offer some interesting lists. For example, one of the lists is about the marriage vows, giving silly examples of the "for betters" and "for worses" (is that a word?). It may just be a demographic thing that I don't see the humor in a wife destroying her husband's fishing boat.

On the other hand, the book comes with a CD full of shorts from Rick and Bubba's radio show. That was funny! I enjoyed listening to them taking calls from listeners and a clip from one of the wives joking about an email that asked if she was older than her husband. In person, it seems, they are much more comical than in print. My kids and I listened to the CD over and over.

I'll just pass the book on to a friend.

1 comment:

  1. I love books and stories on CDs. My sister in Germany sent me a 10-pack of German spoken stories and I often put one in to listen to while I fall asleep. Listening to them is very comforting.

    ReplyDelete