Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

What do you mean by that?

I was thinking today about how we have come to be creatures of routine. We pass each other on the streets and say "how are you doing?" When the cashier at the store hands us our change she says "have a nice day!" Good morning, God bless you, See you later; we say it but do we mean it? I was with my grandfather one afternoon at the Navy Exchange. The man behind the counter asked him how he was doing. My grandfather complained about some ailment he has and the cashier said, "that's good." I looked at my grandfather and he looked at me. I shrugged. But we do it all the time, don't we? Mindless thoughts, words that creep from behind our tongues and through our lips, into the atmosphere. Pleasantries. But why say anything at all if we really don't mean it?

My resolution this year is going to be to say what I mean and mean what I say, to back up my words with actions. So when you see me on the streets and I ask how you are doing, I really want to know. When I say God bless you, I'll be praying for you, I'll lend a helping hand. If I tell you to have a nice day it'll be accompanied by a great big smile. That's the least I can do, so you won't wonder at me...what do you mean by that?

No comments:

Post a Comment